SHG Planning is dedicated to the maximum preservation of a closely-held business. Working in conjunction with our client’s other professional advisors, SHG Planning provides:
- Detailed Analysis of the current planning found in our client’s existing wills, shareholder agreements, business succession, estate and employee benefit plans. This analysis is presented in a manner that is easily understandable to the client.
- Identification of problem areas that can lead to unnecessary tax burdens as well as the loss of control of the business or even its dissolution. Particular emphasis is placed on analyzing the available alternatives.
- Coordination among our client’s various professional advisors so that we are all working towards the common goal of formulating the best available business succession, estate and employee benefit plans.
- Specific recommendations for the succession of the business in the most tax efficient manner consistent with our client’s goals. We are particularly sensitive to the dynamics of family relationships, including the complications of divorce, remarriage and maintaining equity between children who are active in the family business and those who are not involved in the business.
Based on our extensive experience, SHG Planning is uniquely qualified in the area of business succession and estate planning. We understand the legal, tax and financial ramifications of the various planning options which are available.
The creation of a successful business enterprise is an achievement few attain in their lifetime. Yet this legacy often fails to survive beyond the lifetime of the business owner. In fact, 4 out of 5 family businesses fail by the third generation. More often than not, the complex legal and tax issues that arise from the lack of a tightly woven business succession and inheritance plan result in the ultimate failure of the business.
SHG Planning offers a comprehensive service that does not duplicate the costs or efforts of our client’s attorney, accountant or banker. Rather, SHG Planning is the necessary catalyst to get the process underway and to coordinate the efforts of all our client’s advisors. In virtually every instance, the decision to retain SHG Planning has resulted in substantial savings for our clients’ business and family.
As part of the planning process, several key issues are addressed, such as who will run the business, who will work in the business, who will own stock and how much each interested party will be compensated.
As business owners approach retirement age, especially those with children who are interested in the business, the implementation and design of a succession plan and the communication of such plan is vital. SHG Planning’s professionals working along with our client and his or her advisors can design, implement and communicate such a plan in an effective manner.
Many business owners often devote far more attention to minimizing income taxes than to dealing with the most punitive damages of all—the estate tax. Currently estate taxes can be as high as 50% upon the surviving spouse’s death. Effective planning can significantly reduce the amount paid in estate taxes.
A fully detailed estate and business analysis is prepared by SHG Planning which includes specific recommendations as to how to best conserve assets and distribute them fairly and intelligently. We bring objectivity and fairness to the emotional and delicate process. The ultimate objective is to design and implement a plan that not only accomplishes significant tax savings but also keeps the family together.
A pension plan, deferred compensation plan and other employee benefits are major components of any financial and business plan. They can provide even greater benefits when they are coordinated into a business succession and estate plan.
A detailed review is made by SHG Planning of the client’s existing compensation, benefit and pension programs. The available options are explored and specific recommendations are made so that maximum benefits may be achieved from such plans.
In addition, SHG Planning assists in communicating employee benefit programs to existing employees and potential employees to achieve greater results in recruitment, retention, and satisfaction of employees. This is all with the goal of stimulating the employees to deliver superior performance.
With a broad-based understanding of the legal, tax and financial issues facing the business owner plus a decade of specialized expertise in business consulting, SHG Planning is able to design and implement plans which are far broader in scope than those available from any other single source.
For more than 25 years, SHG Planning has provided insightful solutions to the challenges of business succession and wealth preservation, focusing on the needs of owners of closely held businesses and high net worth individuals. The company currently serves over 200 clients.
Steven H. Goodman
Steve is an accomplished speaker and has presented over the years to many organizations and professional groups on efficient business succession, estate planning issues and tax strategies.
Steve lives in Brookville, LI with his wife, Helane, and has two grown children, Jacquelyn and Garett. He has been a Big Brother for over twelve years. He frequently contributes to charity and has personally seen to the higher education of less fortunate youths.
In serving our clients, SHG Planning views five key issues in a holistic and integrated fashion:
- The wishes of our client
- Tax and estate planning implications
- The continuing status of the business
- Emotional and psychological issues
- The value of insurance and other financial instruments
This 360-degree approach is why we are regarded as experts in our field.